Closing at 4pm due to Weather
Library Instruction Policies
Types of Instruction
Full Class Period Instruction– 50 to 75 minute session focused on the development of research and information literacy skills. Most effective when paired with a specific research paper, project, or group assignment.
Meet Your Librarian Session – 10 to 15 minute library orientation intended to familiarize students with the library website and provide an opportunity for students to ask research related questions. Need not be paired with a course assignment.
- Request one week in advance to allow sufficient preparation time for librarians.
- Sessions are first come, first served. Please schedule early to ensure the time slot that best fits your students’ needs.
- Sessions are not typically scheduled during the first two weeks, or last week, of the semester. If you have a special circumstance that may require instruction during these periods, please contact your subject librarian.
- Students should come prepared with ideas for possible topics.* Please schedule instruction at a point in the semester when students are aware of the assignment requirements and have had time to consider what their research focus might be.
- Attend the session with your students. We encourage instructors to be active during the library session. In addition to providing valuable insight, your presence encourages students to be engaged in the instruction experience.
- Pair instruction with a specific research assignment.* Library instruction will be more effective when students have an opportunity to practice the skills and strategies taught in the session. If you would like to collaborate with a librarian in the planning/design of a research assignment, please contact your subject librarian to schedule a consultation.
- Provide a copy of your syllabus and/or assignment when requesting instruction. This information will help your librarian to select the most appropriate resources and activities for your students.
*Full class period instruction only